The Bike Friendly University taskforce is looking for vounteers and support for the Ride Right Ride Bright project for March 11. Details are provided below and in the attached. To volunteer, please contact Donald Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org or George Pearson, email@example.com
Many low-income individuals in our community use a bicycle as their only or primary means of transportation and riding at night is often unavoidable. Yet, these neighbors lack the means to properly equip their bicycles for riding after dark. Velo Cruces, the Optimist Club of Las Cruces, and Southern New Mexico Bicyclist Educators are working together with the Community of Hope on the next semi-annual Ride Right Ride Bright event. We are raising money for bike lights and bicycle helmets for clients at Community of Hope. We are also recruiting volunteers to install lights or to perform minor bicycle repairs at the Community of Hope on Saturday, March 11, 2017 between the hours of 9:00am and noon. We will also distribute reflective vests and reflective slap bands provided by the New Mexico Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Initiative at the University of New Mexico.
Mr. Ricardo Duarte was struck and killed by a motor vehicle on Valley Drive during October 2010. We know that Mr. Duarte was riding without lights or reflective equipment – both of which would have made him more visible to motorists. Mr. Terence Patrick Havey was stuck and killed by a hit and run driver, also on Valley Drive, during August 2013. Ride Right Ride Bright hopes to prevent similar tragedies by improving bicyclist visibility and helping to educate bicyclists to ride more safely.
Here is how you can help make this important event successful:
- Drop off cash or a check payable to the “Velo Cruces” with “Ride Right Ride Bright” in the memo section at Outdoor Adventures (1424 Missouri Ave) or mail to Velo Cruces, 1744 S Triviz Dr, Las Cruces, NM 88001. Donations will qualify as charitable contributions and 100% of the money raised for this purpose will be used for this event or for future Ride Right Ride Bright events
- Volunteer to install lights. It only requires a passing knowledge of screwdriver operation and minimal technical skill.
- Volunteer to perform minor bicycle repairs.
To volunteer or for more information, please contact Donald Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org or George Pearson, email@example.com
- Information about Velo Cruces: www.velocruces.org
- Information about the Optimist Club: www.lascrucesoptimistclub.org
- Information about the Community of Hope: www.mvcommunityofhope.org
- Information about the New Mexico Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Initiative: www.facebook.com
Date: March 11, 2016 Location: Community of Hope, 999 W Amador Ave Time: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Donations: Velo Cruces, 1744 S Triviz Dr, Las Cruces, NM 88001
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com