On Nov 11, 2012 Las Cruces changed and passed new bicycle ordinance to improve their bicycle friendly status. The change is in part based on 2011 recommendations from League of American Bicyclist for updates and to make stronger connections between bicycling community and law enforcement.
- Simpler, clearer language.
- Definitions for electrical-assisted bicycle, pedicab, and vulnerable user of a public way.
- Prohibits parking in bicycle lane and multi-use path.
- Requires minimum distance for passing bicyclist.
- Prohibits threats to vulnerable user.
- Clarifies allowable sidewalk riding & bicycles in crosswalk.
- Eliminates mandatory bicycle registration.
- Language on impaired bicyclists.
- Updated hand signal laws.
- Language matching New Mexico’s helmet laws.
City of Las Cruces – Operation of Bicycles Ordinance – Link to pdf document
- Bicycles defined in New Mexico Driver’s Manual (Page 3)
- New Mexico Administrative Code Relating to Bicycles
- What Are Sharrows?